The sage knows when to hold to this and let go of that.

Humans are, at their essence, explainers. We want to understand our world and our lives. We want to explain things to ourselves and to others. It is this essential quality that has propelled us through the ages in science and art and social relations. In the end, our lives are spent answering the how's and why's of the Universe. This overwhelming task usually takes a lifetime as we are seduced into focusing on narrow fields of understanding and coming up with distinctions that, in the end, provide temporary comfort and satisfaction but do not prove TRUE. This blog is a place for those distinctions so that, like unknown terrors that paralyze us, their naming can render them ridiculous.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Two types of snow shovelers

There are two types of snow shovelers. The ones who get up in the morning, or go out late at night as the snow falls, or has just stopped falling, and clear their walks, edge to edge, down to concrete.
And then there is everyone else.

"Edge to edge, down to concrete" was my father's standard. More often than I care to remember on a dark snowy morning I was awakened from teen-age slumber by him to get dressed, bundled up and sent out into the Montana winter to shovel the walks in front of our house and the walks of the church, a handsome building righteously occupying a corner lot. I would have rather slept warmly.

Today, I fiercely follow my fathers snow shoveling standard. A cleared walk in winter is a commitment to participate in both neighborhood and civilization. It is a fundamental way we take care of one another. It is how we say, "I know the going is tough through all this snow and ice, but here, where I live, I want you to have a clear, dry surface to ease your way." I have many failings but uncleared walks is not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment