The sage knows when to hold to this and let go of that.

Humans are, at their essence, explainers. We want to understand our world and our lives. We want to explain things to ourselves and to others. It is this essential quality that has propelled us through the ages in science and art and social relations. In the end, our lives are spent answering the how's and why's of the Universe. This overwhelming task usually takes a lifetime as we are seduced into focusing on narrow fields of understanding and coming up with distinctions that, in the end, provide temporary comfort and satisfaction but do not prove TRUE. This blog is a place for those distinctions so that, like unknown terrors that paralyze us, their naming can render them ridiculous.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Ends of time

I have been aware of periods in my life when opportunities to do things, or be things are passing me by. Parenthood, something I have no strong feeling about except that it be done lovingly and mindfully is all but gone from my life's horizon. Many career choices are passed now, too.

Physically, time has put limits on me, too. I don't think I will ever pursue downhill skiing and I expect I only have--maybe--ten years left to do cross country skiing. I am done with distance running but I still love climbing the mountain overlooking our valley, and hiking. Becoming a serious writer, blocked my who life by a combination of laziness and intimidation, is still out there with the same obstacles as always. I have gone past mastery of many things.

3 comments:

  1. “But the worst enemy you can meet will always be yourself; you lie in wait for yourself in caverns and forests. Lonely one, you are going the way to yourself! And your way goes past yourself, and past your seven devils! You will be a heretic to yourself and witch and soothsayer and fool and doubter and unholy one and villain. You must be ready to burn yourself in your own flame: how could you become new, if you had not first become ashes?”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900), Thus Spake Zarathustra

    ReplyDelete
  2. “But the worst enemy you can meet will always be yourself; you lie in wait for yourself in caverns and forests. Lonely one, you are going the way to yourself! And your way goes past yourself, and past your seven devils! You will be a heretic to yourself and witch and soothsayer and fool and doubter and unholy one and villain. You must be ready to burn yourself in your own flame: how could you become new, if you had not first become ashes?”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900), Thus Spoke Zarathustra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. Double-entry. It's I, Dana (nee Ellison) Hegna. Are you surviving The Plague? Gol-Dang Capitalists. They - each one does have his or her own name - are a major factor in lack of preparation for, and slow response to, a pandemic, from my perspective. There's no place in a Capitalistic economic system - begun in England in the early 1600's, moving quickly to the Netherlands - for any government Health Program because of the end-aim of Profit for-the-few who administer vast amounts of accumulated capital. I call them 'Sophisticated Profiteers.' (Don't get me started...) Sincerely, Dana P.S. I am descended from Clan Little north of Langholm, Dumfriesshire, and they were known as the best riding cavalry in Europe for 300 years (fighting wars for the English kings, who kept them 'fit' by setting up conditions along the border - the west marches - for skirmishes between the impoverished Scots and English. (Yes, we were Rievers.) It was said, that if you saw a Little, a horse was nearby. There was a local Sheriff Little who married the sister of William Wallace and one of their kids was "Eduard, the beloved nephew of William Wallace." So, I'll sign off with, "Freeeeedom!" and "Hang together, or we'll hang apart." danahegna@gmailDOTcom

      Delete